Students have been at the forefront of some of the most
important social changes in the last century.
KSU & UNIVERSITY
KSU was established by Arturo Mercieca, later Chief Justice Sir Arturo Mercieca, in 1901 as the Comitato Permanente Universitario.
Students have been at the forefront of some of the most important social changes in the last century. KSU, or as it was in its early days, the Comitato Permanente Universitario, the CPU, was born our of a need and a thirst for change. It was then when students first realised that it was their responsibility to take charge of their future and to bring about the change they felt they deserved in the society they lived in.
The University of Malta has a long history going back more than 400 years. Its foundation can be traced to the Collegium Melitense which was set up through direct papal intervention on 12 November 1592. This college was run by the Jesuits on similar lines to their colleges in various other lands. Known as Collegia Externorum, these catered for students who were not Jesuits. After the Jesuit Order was ejected from Malta in 1768, Grand Master Pinto took over all the revenue accruing from its property on the island with the aim of establishing a Pubblica University di Studi Generali. The decree which established the University was thus signed by Pinto on 22 November 1769. The history of the University continued to unfold under the various political dominations which Malta had to endure, and intensified when Malta finally achieved its sovereignty in 1964 – not least with the building of a new campus and the move of the University from Valletta to Tal-Qroqq in Msida.