How We May Use Your Data
KSU shall be entitled to use the user information for the following purposes:
- to manage effectively services that KSU offers such as the student’s parking permit system and any other services which may be subscibed to through forms accessible through the website;
- in order to enable KSU to comply with any requirements imposed on us by law;
- to conduct surveys for reasearch purposes. In such cases, data will not be disclosed to third parties;
- in order to send you periodic updates and information related to KSU’s events and initiatives (including but not limited to SMS or e-mail). For your convenience you may withdraw consent to receive such material through myKSU platform;
- to answer your queries and solicit your feedback;
- to send important notices, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies;
- to send you technical notices, updates, security alters and support and administrative messages.
- for internal purposes such as auditing, risk assessment purposes, internal management, research and statistics, systems administration and the development and improvement of our services.
- to monitor and analyse trends, usage and activities in connection with our services to understand which parts of our services are of the most interest and to improve the design and content of our platform.
- to ensure we have up-to-date contact information for you
- to prevent, detect and/or prosecute any illegal and/or criminal activity which we are bound to report and to meet any other specific legal or contractual obligations.
- to establish, exercise or defend any legal action;
- to protect and promote our legitimate interests and the proper conduct of our business.
On What Basis Do We Use Your Personal Information:
- For the performance of a contract: We process your personal data as necessary in order to provide you with our services when you access the myKSU platform.
- With your consent: We will process your personal information when you have given your consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes set out above. You have various rights where we are processing your information on the basis of your consent. For example, if you no longer wish to be on one of our mailing lists for direct marketing purposes, you can choose to opt out at any time by following the “unsubscribe” instructions at the bottom of our promotional emails. If you have an online account with us, you can also opt out by updating your preferences.
- For legitimate business purposes: There may be instances where we are compelled to process your personal information in order to safeguard our professional interests and reputation. Where we use your personal information for this purpose, rest assured that we will take measures to protect your personal information
- To comply with a legal obligation: There may be instances where we are legally obliged to process your personal information.
Upon visiting our website your browser automatically sends certain data, such as the web address of the page you are visiting and your IP address to Google. Google Analytics is a product which helps website owners to have a better understanding on how visitors engage in their sites. More information on how Google Analytics collects and processes such data can be found at google.com/policies/privacy/partners/
If you are a Facebook user and are logged on your Facebook account or have consented that your Facebook account remains logged on, upon visiting our website your browser automatically sends certain data, such as the web address of the page you are visiting and your IP address to Facebook. Facebook will then allow adverts related to the web page you visited to pop up on your Facebook page. More information as to how this process works can be found at facebook.com/about/basics/facebook-and-advertising/from-other-websites-and-apps/
Recipients and sharing of your personal information
Your personal information will be received by KSU’s representatives.
We may also share your personal information with any of the following:
- The University of Malta administration in order to verify your eligibility as a student.
- our agents, suppliers and business partners strictly as required in order to carry out the purposes outlined in this privacy notice;
- our professional advisors and auditors strictly as required for consultation purposes or for compliance with our legal obligations;
- regulators, governments and law enforcement authorities as and when this is required under applicable laws and regulations;
- courts, tribunals, arbitrators or other competent bodies who may have authority to request such personal information;
Transfers outside the European Union
We may transfer your personal information outside of Malta. The countries to which your personal information is transferred may not offer an equivalent level of protection for personal information to the laws of Malta. Where appropriate, we will take steps to ensure your information is transferred subject to appropriate safeguards, such as by entering into data transfer agreements. Where we have put data transfer agreements or similar safeguards in place, we may be able to make a copy of this available to you if you contact us via one of the methods set out under the header “Contact Us” below.
How long will we keep your personal information?
We have a data retention policy that sets out how long we keep your information. This policy is based on the type of information, the purpose of collection, and the system within our digital platforms in which the information is held. As a general rule, we keep your personal information for as long as we need to in order to carry out those purposes for which your data has been collected. Personal data is usually destryed once a user is no longer a student at the University of Malta. Funding application are kept for a minimum period of ten years in order to comply with our legal obligations.
We use reasonable efforts to safeguard the integrity, availability and confidentiality of all personal data that we process relating to you and regularly review and enhance our technical, physical and managerial procedures so as to ensure that your personal data is protected from:
- unauthorised access;
- improper use or disclosure;
- unauthorised modification;
- unlawful destruction or accidental loss.
To this end we have implemented security policies, rules and technical measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control. All our representatives and data processors, who have access to and are associated with the processing of personal data, are further obliged to respect the confidentiality of our users’ personal data.
By its very nature however the Internet is not a secure medium and data sent via this medium can potentially be subject to unauthorised acts by third parties. We cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of any information passing over our website.
Moreover, data sent via the Internet may be transmitted across international borders even where sender and receiver of information are located in the same country. Consequently, data relating to you may be transmitted via a country having a lower level of data protection than that existing in your country of residence. We shall accept no responsibility or liability whatsoever for the security of your data while in transit through the Internet.
Third party links
No third party is permitted to link any other website to our website without obtaining our prior written consent.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent when your personal data is processed on the basis of your consent. The withdrawal of your consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing before the withdrawal of your consent.
- Ask KSU about the processing of your personal information, including to be provided with a copy of your personal information held by KSU.
- to request the correction and/or deletion of your personal information, or restrict or object to the processing of your personal information;
- to request to obtain and reuse your personal information for your own purposes across different services; and
- to complain to a competent supervisory authority, or to a court of law, if your data protection rights are violated or you have suffered as a result of unlawful processing of your personal information.
If you would like access to the information that we hold about you, if any of the information that we hold about you is inaccurate or out of date, or if you wish to withdraw your consent to the processing of your data or to restrict or object to us processing it, please let us know by getting in touch via one of the methods set out under the header “Contact Us“ below.
If you object to our processing of your personal information, we will respect such requests in accordance with our legal obligations. Your objection may mean that we may not be able to perform the actions necessary to achieve the purposes set out above or to provide you with our services.
KSU may be required or entitled to retain your information to comply with legal and regulatory obligations and to protect and exercise our legal rights and legitimate interests.
In addition to those rights outlined above you also have an unconditional right to object at any time to the processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes by contacting us via one of the methods set out under the header “Contact Us” below.
Kunsill Studenti Universitarji (KSU) is the controller of your personal information.
Edit your cookie preferences
Follow the guidelines below to remove your cookie history and change your cookie preferences.
Any queries or comments about this policy or the processing of your data should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org